Sunday, 25 September 2011

GY reports from GY

Hopperational details
Date & Venue
Saturday 24 September at Wellesley Recreation Ground
Great Yarmouth Town 0 Felixstowe & Walton Utd 5
(Cole 11, 63 Hampson 61, Duzgun 70, Cranfield 90+2)
FA Vase 2nd Round Qualifying.  Both clubs play their league football in the step 5 Eastern Counties Premier league.
I am here because the New Zealand All Blacks scored 37 points in their victory over France at the Rugby World Cup – see previous blogpost for details!
This match in one sentence
The result was still in balance at the interval as the visitors were only one goal up, but the hosts fell apart in the second half and meekly leave the competition.
So what?
Felixstowe & Walton will host Haverhill Rovers in the next round, who beat Norwich United 5-1 at home.
Something random
Scroby Sands Wind Farm on the horizon
I wish I could give you a peer review of the pier revue

I have to say that I am not a great fan of what the English do with their coastline.  Great Yarmouth is by no means the “last resort” for a day at the seaside but I find the promenades of amusement arcades and any-combination-with-chips restaurants to be unutterably depressing.  It’s as if town planners run out of ideas where the land meets the sea.  In its defence, Great Yarmouth looked clean, safe and friendly with plenty to do for young families but as a Midlander I prefer my sea to be wild, awesome and inspiring.
The drama unfolds
To describe this match in dramatic terms would probably be an offence under the Trade Descriptions Act.  Here is a scene-setter clip from the early minutes of the game.  Great Yarmouth are in gold-and-black, Felixsowe & Walton in red-and-white.

After 11 minutes, a long ball from Matt Rylands bounced awkwardly between striker Jamie Cole and the debutant keeper Peter Souza, allowing Cole to get round and tap into an unguarded net.  0-1

The first sniff of an equaliser came after 20 minutes, but a shot came in at a comfortable height for Guy Clubb in the Felixstowe goal.  Ten minutes later, Great Yarmouth’s wide left midfielder Fernando Vide, always tricky in possession and ready to run at defenders, cut in and shot low but the save was easy enough.  Just before half-time, a great ball to Liam Bartley was followed by a nice finish, but the flag was up and the goal disallowed.  It had been a pretty ordinary half, and Felixstowe kept their one-goal lead at the break.  0-1 at half-time

Felixstowe’s Ben Garnham missed a headed chance two minutes into the second period but in the end it didn’t matter as they started to stretch their lead.  The shot in this picture, again by Jamie Cole, was deflected in by Adam Hampson for the second.  0-2

The third was smashed in from close range by Jamie Cole after a good save, but attackers were queueing up and the game was over as a contest.  0-3

My second-half clip is taken from the back row of the main stand.

The fourth goal was an easy finish for Sevitham Duzgun with Great Yarmouth in defensive disarray.  0-4

The fifth came in stoppage time, a low shot into the corner by Ben Cranfield.  Final score 0-5
Jamie Cole of Felixstowe & Walton United.
A snippet from the programme
Snippets from Mike Derbyshire (Great Yarmouth) in the Manager’s Notes:
“Well, I have received a fabulous welcome from everybody connected with GYTFC since taking over the manager’s job here two weeks ago … Unfortunately, I have lost a second good player in the space of just a few days with our young goalkeeper moving on … I was so happy for everyone at the club that we were able to secure our first win of the season last Saturday (against Brantham) … but no-one is getting carried away and in some senses we were given a very quick and sharp reality check on Tuesday evening when we travelled to face the league leaders, Dereham… So we learn and move on. That’s what’s important!”
What I learned today
The main stand at the Wellesley is said to be the world’s oldest grandstand among those currently in use.  It dates from the reign of Queen Victoria, having been opened in June 1892 and is named after Sir Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington, of Waterloo fame.

What Next?
No idea at the moment, so follow @GrahamYapp on Twitter for any announcements.


  1. Smashing blog that covers everything very fairly..i was at the game on saturday and going by your video footage was sat behind you at the back of the stand in the 2nd half..pity you wern't covering the game from the week before..that was a real cracker and one of the best games i've seen at the wellesley in over 20 years of supporting the bloaters..thanks for taking the time and trouble to come to great yarmouth..please do come back soon and cover another game sometime..there's always a friendly welcome at the wellesley.

  2. Rich, it was certainly a friendly welcome and it was a pity I didn't see one of the home club's better days. I still have several Eastern Counties grounds to visit and there's a chance I will see GYT again on my travels. The main stand is a real gem that goes some way towards overcoming the athletics track issue - I'm not a fan in general of pitches with tracks round them. Good luck for the rest of the season!