Tuesday 3 October 2017

The Aarau of Time



Hopperational details
Date & Venue
Friday 29 September 2017 at Brügglifeld, Aarau, Switzerland
Result
FC Aarau 2 Neuchatel Xamax 0
Competition
Challenge League (Swiss 2nd Tier)
Hopstats
Ground 619. A three-hour but easy drive from Geneva into a German-speaking part of the country.
Context
The Friday night televised game pitches the weakest attack (FCA) against the meanest defence (NEU) and the visitors will start as favourites.
In one sentence
Xamax might feel that it wasn’t their night but in truth they were outfought by a more tenacious home side.
So what?
Arrau stay 8th (of 10) but now have a points cushion.  Xamax also stay 2nd because the leaders FC Schaffhausen also lost the next day.
Match Report
I love a bit of retro-rock and prog at football and Arrau served up some magnificent mood music including Status Quo and the Alan Parsons Project.  My new favorite player, Gilles Yapi-Yapo, lined up wearing 37 for Aarau.  If I start playing Football Manager again I will build a team around him for sure.

After a dodgy start in which the first Xamax corner of the night caused far-post chaos, Aarau started to defy their league position.  Most of their best work channelled through Ivan Audino down the left flank.  Xamax in turn moved the ball faster when they had the chance to break.  An Audino cross led to a disallowed goal and some premature celebration music.  It took 36 minutes before an attack reached the right byline giving Arrau’s top scorer Patrick Rossini the chance to score from the pull-back.

At half-time, I imagined strong words being spoken in the Xamax dressing-room and expected them to come out stronger.  What do I know?  Within five minutes they were two-nil down.  A fabulous save by #99 Loïc Jacot deserved better than the rebound falling to Varol Tasar, who scored easily.

Xamax, apart from one disallowed volley, were not in the game.  We had substitution music, injury music and then the phenomenon popularly known as “handbags”.  This was on the far side from me adjacent to the benches and I have no idea what happened.  I think someone was despatched from the benches to the stands.  It all kicked off again as a bottle was thrown (I think) from the benches on to the pitch as a winger was flying past.  All a bit unnecessary really.  Xamax clipped the bar as the ball bounced up from a downward header in stoppage time but I think they already knew they were a beaten side.
Ground Pix
  











Match Pix




Learn German Through Football
XX Siege, YY Unentschieden, ZZ Niedlerlangen – XX victories, YY draws, ZZ defeats
Gegen - against
Das Tor – goal
Die Tore – goals
Der Torwart – goalkeeper
Die Würste sind noch nich angekommen – the sausages have not yet arrived (so the Würst is yet to come…)
Pre-Match Entertainment
I spent the day before at CERN, the site of the Large Hadron Collider.  I’m teaching A level Physics again this year and it was a good chance to keep up-to-date (insofar as I can grasp the mind-boggling concepts!) with cutting-edge science.  Any of my readers with a recall of school science will remember drawing an electron as a little dot on a circle.  Round here electrons are nine-dimensional superstrings, with a tenth dimension of time.  This is the kind of thing that can make groundhoppers more interesting ;) and I would recommend the Particles exhibition to anyone and everyone.  The Microcosm exhibition is also superb but focused on the detail of how the LHC works.  I loved it.  The photos are 1) the Particles exhibition 2) one of the original hydrogen cylinders that supplied the LHC 3) a mock-up of part of the LHC ring 4) all quiet for now in the Atlas Control room (one of the detectors looking at proton collisions).
  





In the morning before this game I spoke at the United Nations.  To a man on the door who showed me which queue to join for a guided tour.  This was exceptionally interesting, and again I would recommend it, to anyone who cares about humanity.  Get there early and be prepared to queue for 90 minutes.  Geneva itself is very easy (and cheap) to get around by public transport and there is plenty to do, some of it free and some of it not so cheap! My hire car was parked at the edge of the city and I took the train into the centre before getting around by bus and tram.  Four pictures selected from dozens that I took at the UN.






Goalkeeper Top Colour Stats
Green beats Yellow, who deserves to lose for wearing ridiculous squad number 99.  Full up-to-date table in the next blogpost.
What Next?
A report from Saturday’s game in the Swiss 1.Liga at Meyrin FC.  Watch @GrahamYapp on Twitter for details!  On Saturday, for Non-League Day, I have to stay local because of an evening commitment, so I will probably be somewhere in the Spartan South Midlands League area.


No comments:

Post a Comment