Thursday 3 January 2019

Making the Premier League More Interesting


It’s time once again to let the random, some would say chaotic, events of football make a randomish decision for me.  I have TEN step 4 matches on my shortlist for Saturday 5 January as I work my way towards “The 388”.

Therefore, in the spirit of public service I have devised a way of making a Premier League game marginally more interesting.

The decision will be made by the officials and players at Thursday’ night’s game between Manchester City and Liverpool, and I will use the BBC Sport website as the source of the information I will need.

The key fact will be the time of the LAST goal scored in the game – specifically the last digit, which is of course in the range 0 to 9 – ten possibilities.

The ten digits are linked to ten journeys as shown below.  The digits are in numerical order, the home teams are in alphabetical order.

Last digit of time of last goal scored
Chosen Game
0
Atherton Coll v Kidsgrove
1
Belper T v Brighouse T
2
Cleethorpes T v Pontefract Coll
3
AFC Mansfield v Tadcaster A
4
Morpeth T v Frickley Ath
5
Pickering T v Carlton T
6
Radcliffe v Newcastle T
7
Ramsbottom Utd v Leek T
8
Slimbridge v Thatcham T
9
Whyteleafe v Greenwich Boro

So just to be clear, if Sergio Aguero or some other overpaid blue-shirted prima donna scores an early winner in the 14th minute that turns out to be the only goal of the game, the last digit is 4 and I’ll be motoring to Morpeth.  On the other hand, if Kenny Dalglish or anyone else from Liverpool pops up to score an equaliser that goes down as 90+5, then I’m popping to Pickering.

Other small print:  if the game is a 0-0 draw then I’m just getting out a d10 die and rolling it.

UPDATE:
The first goal (Aguero) was eventually recorded as 40 minutes although initially it was recorded as 41.  No matter, because Roberto Firmino's goal in the 64th minute was about to send me to Morpeth instead, at least until Leroy Sané scored the final goal of the game.  There was some confusion on the BBC site about the time, but most sites (BBC, Independent, Premier League) showed 72.  So ... Cleethorpes it is.  Thank you for your interest!


No comments:

Post a Comment